Skip to main content

From Tablist to Tableist to errrr...Drummer!!!



22nd April - I start cruising....cruising in the Great Lakes. Well, i mean my MBA at Great Lakes Institute of management.

29 April - The ship's final hooter. The Jaycees had to get off the deck, it was the farewell party for our seniors called the Jaycees or the Junior Crusaders.
With only a day to prepare for the grand party, which included a couple of dances, a skit, a few "melodramatic" videos, and of course 2 songs by the Sutta Gang...lol, there was a lot of hard work to be done...
The night before the party all budding Kishore's and Elvis's got together in the favourite room of ours - Veeranam, and thought about..well..was any1 thinkin...every1 sang watever he or she liked...
The next day...a different gang (Soumya the choreographer, Abhi, Vidith, Shikha, Janini, Kavitha, Roshini, Asim,KK, Gouri..sorry if i missed sm1) gets together at my house for their dance practice...well i was only a facilitator..i didnt want to risk the stage!!!
Some of these dancers were extremely keen to sing as well...so...we thought...Let's do it!!!
"We need some instruments"
Enter Mr Sijo Kuruvilla George - he is an entrepreneur, he can organize parties, he can irritate women...aaanndd...he plays the guitar as well!!!
"We need some beats"
Yours truly chips in saying people I think I can do this...
But what to play....woohoooo...the best thing I found was a plastic seat which was till then used only by my maid when she washed clothes...
and the rest, as they say, is history... 2 songs - Papa Kehte Hain, and the gloomy, emotional song that brought tears to people's eyes - BC SUTTA!!!!!
Boy!!! Did the crowd like it!!!the Jaycees just loved it...
"Once More!" "Good Show Champions!!" "You Rock Champions!!!"
(Champions is how the current batch at Great Lakes is referred to)



From then on...wherever I found sm1 singing, the nearest table, plate, book, laptop-I played on just abt anything that wrked as a substitute for drums. Well..my hairstyle wasn't the only thing like Siva Mani's.
A set of drums I wanted to buy
Unfortunately the bottom line wasn't too high
Somehow..i did manage to get some moolah
And finally I got home a 5-piece kit... cool ha!!!

Well...music has alwaz been my passion...right from when I learnt how to play the Tabla, to now when I hav been trying to get used to playing 7 different pieces at the same time...I did take a couple of drum classes a few years ago, but that was all..nothing after that. But that made sure I had some basic knowledge about how to set up the kit, where to place which piece of the kit, and a few other technical details. And all i do now to learn this mesmerizing art is look for online lessons, and practice. A vacant room in the college called Lake Michigan, is where the drums currently are, I would have loved to keep them at home, but then I, certainly, would have had to look for a place for myself as well, courtesy my sweet understanding neighbours. I practice every alternate day. I really wanna take this up seriously, and at least make sure that I myself like what I play, I am sure the others would then love it too.
Thanks to Mr. Prakash Randheer who introduced me to Drum Gods aka Travis Barker and Keith Moon, I now have "definite targets".

And now that we have thought of forming a band...yes, for those of you who didn't know this, we have started working towards it, we plan to perform on 31st August at 'Sanghamitra', our college's internal bi-annual fest. Though we'll keep it simple this time, the next Sanghamitra in March is gonna see some real serious, heavy duty stuff..
I have always wanted to be a part of a band, have alwaz wanted to play serious music, hav alwaz wanted to be known, hav always wanted to be important...and whoz more important than a drummer in a band!!!
and now...for the valedictory speech....
Thanks Great Lakes for giving us this opportunity..and thanks Events Committee for organizing Sanghamitra and giving us a target...and Thanks a lot to the Band in the making for making a dream...a reality!!!!!
Cheers!!!

Comments

  1. was a nice read.. and best wishes for your drumming ambitions.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for acknowledging me man. U have a loud, thumping drum beating career ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woops...never knew u write so well....good going buddy n hope to c u as a well know drummer,and for d other blogs..u reminded me of d good old days...aji haaa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daytime slumber...

Daytime it was..when I kept sleeping... you were here with me...waitin 4 me 2 wake up... whenever u tried to, i hushed u away... i shud hav woken up..u had so much 2 say... evening it was...i felt like getting out of my slumber... i saw u...pushed you away...told u to leave...it was my bad temper... i hav woken up now...but its darkness all around... i want you to be with me...but u r nowhere 2 b found... come back my love....come back to me... without you in my life...i don't feel like me...

I - There's a world inside me

As I float thousands of feet above the ground  I look below at the world that seems to crawl As i also try to dive in deeper To see the person that I can "I" call There's a child in me that wants to keep flying The child in me that's so subdued but it keeps trying It craves for attention as much as it strives to run away Doesn't really know what life is but doesn't even care about dying There's a monster in me that's as cruel as the wildest beast It can hurt the strongest hearts around, The most beautiful eyes can bleed, the most caring hands tremble It's right here inside me however surprising it may sound There's a lover in me that only lives to care His job is to see you out of trouble and he charges only in smiles A diehard romantic, could make you weak in your knees Talk about his childhood crush, innocently he still blushes and smiles There's this moaner in me, it is never really happy Sadness is its favourit

हक़

कल नये घर में घुसा तो देखा  कुछ पंछियों ने एक घोंसला बना रखा था। घर साफ़ किया तो हटाना पड़ा उसे  भई आख़िर घर तो मेरा ही था… खिड़की के पास एक कुर्सी लगा कर  चाय की चुस्की लेते हुए बाहर देखा… दो मायूस पंछियों को नज़र अन्दाज़ कर,  खुश हुआ जब अपने आस पास और भी बनी नयी इमारतों को देखा।  इन इमारतों से पहले यहाँ  कुछ खेत और बहुत से पेड़ थे शायद   वो पंछी दोनों बाहर से  यही याद दिलाना छह रहे थे… शायद । एक लंबी साँस ले कर अख़बार उठाया  सरकार ने किसी ज़मीन को अपना बता कर बड़े हक़ से बुलडोज़र चलाया  फिर खबर थी किसी देश की जिसने हल्ला बोल कर  किसी और देश की ज़मीन पर अपना हक़ जताया  और फिर आस पास ही की खबरों में  कुछ लोग दबी आवाज़ में तो कुछ बहुत शोर से कुछ कहना चाह रहे थे, ख़ुद को इस देश का और कुछ लोगों को  बाहर वाला बता रहे थे । अब कौन बाहर वाला है और किसका है हक़  ये कैसे पता चलता है? वक़्त में जितना पीछे चलते जाओ  हर कदम नज़रिया बदलता रहता है…