Skip to main content

The People around us...



We interact with a lot of people every day. Sometimes, we might irritate them. Sometimes we might even infuriate them. Do all of them react the same way, always? Well, not really.
They may react. They may not react. They may react then. They may react later. They may smile. They may frown. They may even get angry, or might just walk away expressionlessly. But do those smiles or frowns really express the feelings within. Well, may or may not be. This varies with people, with situations.
I have observed a varied set of immediate and delayed responses by various people, to situations where, I believe, one could get irritated or annoyed. Here is a list of categories I could classify people into, and objects I found them analogous to.
1. The Black Boxes: This, I believe, is the best breed of people one could come across. Like physical black boxes that absorb all light that falls on them, these people can bear anything you do to them. They are the most forgiving ones of the lot. They would never get irritated, never get angry. They may not always wear a smile on their face, but whenever they would, it would be an honest one.
Not that these people are never displeased with anything one does to them, but they would never make an issue out of it. They would always try and empathize with the person concerned, and forgive the person eventually. Such people are often taken for granted, but those who would realize that their disposition is genuine, and their expressions honest, would surely respect them to the core.

2. There's another similar category of people, who I would term the polished black boxes, as against the natural black boxes described above. These may not really forgive one for something, or may not really empathize with the person concerned, but then this would never be apparent. The one thing that differentiates this category of people from the ones described next, in my opinion, is that these polished black boxes do not show any late reactions. They might form opinions about a person based on their interactions, and might alter their methods or modes of interaction, but would never really want to punish one.
If a polished black box is a close friend, he might even let you know of things he disliked, or thought, could have been done differently.
But, mind you, these people cannot be taken for granted, because if one persistently continues to annoy them, the black polish might come off, and one may get a piece of their mind. But even in this case, the reaction would not be late. Most managers who are popular among their team members would, I believe, belong to this category.

3. Capacitors: The analogy may sound strange, but then I found people belonging to this category similar to capacitors, which are known to store electric charge. Such people, unlike the polished black boxes, would pretend as if they have ignored an incident that didn’t please them, they might even smile it away. But the stored charge might turn into electricity some day There could be two reasons for an outburst that one sees later. They either have waited for the right moment to vent out their anger (which could be in the form of a punishment, say a manager rating an employee poorly), or they have not been able to contain themselves any longer the latter category, I think, can become polished black boxes by enhancing their patience levels, while the former category is the most dangerous of the lot as you would not know you’ve hurt them, nor would you know when they might hurt you.
4. Phosphors: A phosphor is a substance that exhibits the phenomenon of phosphorescence (sustained glowing after exposure to energized particles such as electrons or ultraviolet photons). Such people, like capacitors, react quite late. But while a capacitor would drain out it’s charge only to its source, a phosphor emits light in all directions. Just about anyone could bear the repercussions when a phosphor might lose patience. A boss belonging to this category, who’s had an argument with his wife, might ruin the day for his subordinate.
5. Mirrors: They are the simplest people of the lot. Some people might find them the easiest to live with. Others might not like them at all. Mirrors are the ones who would retaliate immediately. They might shout at you, they might just frown, but like black boxes, their reactions would be equally genuine too.
Everyone who reads this blog might feel he or she knew this already, so how has one gained out of this post? One, this was just a way of venting out my thoughts. Two, I believe, that after having read this, one might start analyzing people, classifying them into one of these categories. This might help one in working out one’s ways of interaction with people around them. Also, a lot of people might just start observing their own reactions and might move up the ladder. One thing worth noting is that these categories aren’t watertight compartments. One might lie anywhere in between two of these, and might even switch from one to another at different times
I have been trying to find out ways of knowing which category one belongs to , just by reading one’s personality. Inputs on this are most welcome. Your views on this post will be appreciated too. :)

Comments

  1. Interesting write.
    Fine categorization of the types of homo sapiens that surround us, at home, school, work, holiday, even when we dream while we sleep.

    surely down the line, I and others who follow your blog, will expand to the list of types of people, and hopefully will come up with as exciting analogous terms, as I read now.

    Without drilling down into any of these classifications right now, if I may dare, will try go for bulls eye and get to the root of it. What lie beneath the surface may well be what we call emotional interlligence (or EQ - why is it not EI? ) . Black boxes, will probably have the highest EQ(and more abstract attributes), attached to them, and are most likely the rarest of the breeds.

    I must complete my post, and add more EQ context, but another day - should look to finish of preparations for an exam in 3 days. Meanwhile, this may trigger another dimension to your original post, and you may be able to integrate your thoughts with this new dimension, to add another perspective to it,only if you didn't already have a scope defined for this post :)

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thoughts.Very beautifully you have made buckets of the type of reactions people give.As I was reading it, I could almost find ppl I knew who fit into either one of those types.However I agree to what you mentioned that some might lie in between 2 types as there can be a distinct overlap.
    Also, I feel sometimes ppl react differently with certain situations and set of people.So the way you react to something that a stranger does would be different from the way you would react to something that your family member would do.In that case, my opinion your reactions at home is your true mask....freak, some level of gyan I am giving!!!!!!But good article dude

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite agree with Mitali. We may be a black box to one person and a mirror to another. Also, with the same person, I could be sometime accumulating my emotions and venting out later or maybe become a phosphorus.

    Human behavior is complex and that's why becomes really difficult to be tagged. Of course,we have the stereotypes but then it often forms the basis of prejudice.

    And so, in classifying people like this, I beg to differ. And I think by doing this, one may miss out on a lot!

    Though, I agree this classification would prepare one to a particular reaction from a particular person but then the chances of getting bowled over by a googly also rise! :)

    Say what you?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daytime slumber...

Daytime it was..when I kept sleeping... you were here with me...waitin 4 me 2 wake up... whenever u tried to, i hushed u away... i shud hav woken up..u had so much 2 say... evening it was...i felt like getting out of my slumber... i saw u...pushed you away...told u to leave...it was my bad temper... i hav woken up now...but its darkness all around... i want you to be with me...but u r nowhere 2 b found... come back my love....come back to me... without you in my life...i don't feel like me...

I - There's a world inside me

As I float thousands of feet above the ground  I look below at the world that seems to crawl As i also try to dive in deeper To see the person that I can "I" call There's a child in me that wants to keep flying The child in me that's so subdued but it keeps trying It craves for attention as much as it strives to run away Doesn't really know what life is but doesn't even care about dying There's a monster in me that's as cruel as the wildest beast It can hurt the strongest hearts around, The most beautiful eyes can bleed, the most caring hands tremble It's right here inside me however surprising it may sound There's a lover in me that only lives to care His job is to see you out of trouble and he charges only in smiles A diehard romantic, could make you weak in your knees Talk about his childhood crush, innocently he still blushes and smiles There's this moaner in me, it is never really happy Sadness is its favourit

हक़

कल नये घर में घुसा तो देखा  कुछ पंछियों ने एक घोंसला बना रखा था। घर साफ़ किया तो हटाना पड़ा उसे  भई आख़िर घर तो मेरा ही था… खिड़की के पास एक कुर्सी लगा कर  चाय की चुस्की लेते हुए बाहर देखा… दो मायूस पंछियों को नज़र अन्दाज़ कर,  खुश हुआ जब अपने आस पास और भी बनी नयी इमारतों को देखा।  इन इमारतों से पहले यहाँ  कुछ खेत और बहुत से पेड़ थे शायद   वो पंछी दोनों बाहर से  यही याद दिलाना छह रहे थे… शायद । एक लंबी साँस ले कर अख़बार उठाया  सरकार ने किसी ज़मीन को अपना बता कर बड़े हक़ से बुलडोज़र चलाया  फिर खबर थी किसी देश की जिसने हल्ला बोल कर  किसी और देश की ज़मीन पर अपना हक़ जताया  और फिर आस पास ही की खबरों में  कुछ लोग दबी आवाज़ में तो कुछ बहुत शोर से कुछ कहना चाह रहे थे, ख़ुद को इस देश का और कुछ लोगों को  बाहर वाला बता रहे थे । अब कौन बाहर वाला है और किसका है हक़  ये कैसे पता चलता है? वक़्त में जितना पीछे चलते जाओ  हर कदम नज़रिया बदलता रहता है…